Fascination with what?

Life? Nature? Mountain hiking? Poetry? Bands with catchy weird names? Yellow? Quirky movies? Memories? Gipsy music? Yoga? Oxymorons? Many of our fascinations are ephemeral, while some are ever-lasting. One thing that for sure won’t change is my fascination with words. That’s why I’m writing this blog.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

From Street Soccer to the World Cup


Schaapkraal – In the outskirts of Cape Town, 14 days before the official kick off of the FIFA Soccer World Cup 2010, another World Cup was the centre of attention in Schaapkraal where the South African Homeless Street Soccer (SAHSS) was holding their first trial for the Homeless World Cup. The cup will take place in Brazil in September later this year.

“Everybody is into playing street soccer these days,” said Clifford Martinus, one of the directors of SAHSS, as he added that there will also be an opportunity for the girls to enter the cup this year.

“We are currently trying to get commission to bring a girl’s team along.”

Martinus has been working with youth development for the past 15 years and founded the Western Cape Street Soccer League together with David Abrahams in 2006, the same year as Cape Town was hosting the Homeless World Cup. The league turned into the organisation South African Homeless Street Soccer, which today operates on a volunteer basis, aimed at keeping homeless people off the street and away from peer pressure.

“Our aim is not only to offer them an opportunity to join the cup, but to permanently keep them off the streets,” said Martinus.

The players who make the team will be staying with the organisation before and after the HWC until they are ready to start a new life on their own. In addition to training for the cup they will be introduced to various life skill programs based around topics such as drug awareness and the dangers of gangsterism.

“When we return from Brazil we say: 6 months ago, you were on the street. Now that you are back, what do you want to do with your life?’ explained Martinus.

Around 20 homeless boys and men, from 16 years and up, were gathered at the Oasis community building on Friday. They were divided into teams and given their numbers for the try outs. All the players were prepared for the game in their own fashion: some with blue soccer socks, only one shoe or t-shirts stating “soccer hero collection” and “street ball.” While some of them walked onto the makeshift soccer field of tarmac and gravel for the first time Jonathan Tose, 32, has been trying to make the team the last three years.

“Last year I couldn’t make it because I was missing documents and passport. I really hope that I will make it this year,” shared Tose between the matches.

Tose has been living on the street since 1984 and currently lives on the streets of Nyanga. He has been playing soccer since 1986 and when he was younger he wanted to play for one of his favourite teams: the Kaizer Chiefs.

“My dream now is to go to Brazil and play for my country. This is an opportunity for me to change my life,” he said as he ran back onto the field, sporting the number 8 stuck to his back by safety pins.

“Corner!” shouted Colin Davis, 19, the referee, as he blew the whistle.

A year ago Davis was living on the streets of Cape Town, seeking shelter under bridges during the night. While on the streets he used to play street soccer together with his friends, and one day a passer-by told him about the HWC.

“He told me that I should play because I was pretty good, but when I first went I didn’t think I was going to make it. There were too many players,” Davis said about his try-out experience.

He made the Homeless Team 2009 and a couple of months later he entered the San Siro Stadium [also known as Giuseppe Mezza] in Milan, Italy, to play on the same field as his favourite team Inter Milan.

“Wow, the crowd man. I will never forget it,” he smiled. “This experience has made me hungry for more opportunities in life.”

Since a player can only join the Homeless Cup once, Davis was using his soccer expertise as a ref during the trials. A year after the cup he has a permanent home and coaches soccer to kids in Bo-Kaap, working with what he loves the most.

“I’ve learned to be a better person and not to live in the past, but to live for the future.”

1 comment:

  1. I thought I might as well add the article about the Soccer World Cup that I wrote a while ago. I would've preferred to read it in a newspaper, but my blog is second best I guess.

    ReplyDelete