Fascination with what?

Life? Nature? Mountain hiking? Poetry? Bands with catchy weird names? Yellow? Quirky movies? Memories? Gipsy music? Yoga? Oxymorons? Many of our fascinations are ephemeral, while some are ever-lasting. One thing that for sure won’t change is my fascination with words. That’s why I’m writing this blog.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bebop (Music:) Isbells - Isbells (2009)


Trapped in a web of spoken words - The first words of Isbells' song 'Without a Doubt' - describe exactly how I feel when I listen to Isbells. The good way of trapped. I can't move, but I can hum and harmonise.

I'll press the play button before bed time. It is very calming and suits perfectly as my chamomile tea (with some lemon drops of Bon Iver and some honey S Garfunkel - because that's who they remind me of.)

Their album is also called Isbells. I'm unsure what it means. I guess Bells are Bells, and Is might be ice, because that's what it means in Norwegian: Icebells.

I think of them in winter, when snowflakes are falling and I hear the tintinnabulation of church bells.

The band's from Belgium and should not be confused with Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. Band members are Gaëtan Vandewoude - who originally started off solo - Naima Joris, Bart Borremans and Gianni Marzo who joined in.

Their music is lush and soft, and is for sure my preferable transport to dreamland.

Lowlight: At times a little bit too much Ray LaMontage.
Highlight: Oh how they harmonise. Especially in their first song"As long as it takes," which is one of my favourites. They also have interesting instrumentals like a little bit of banjo and percussion in "Without a Doubt," some electric guitar in "Maybe," and a tantalizing vibraphone to "I'm coming Home."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmRkxF7SIY&feature=related


Thank you Oliver for giving me this wonderful album.

No comments:

Post a Comment